Spending time focusing on healthy lifestyle can be an extremely productive way to manage and improve symptoms of Depression. The same activities that make our bodies healthy play an important role in how we can feel emotionally. In order to make sure you are taking care of yourself both physically and emotionally, it’s important to do the following:
- Be physically active: Make sure you walk or do other exercise for at least 30 minutes per day – even a little bit can make a difference.
- Eat a healthy diet: Eat fresh, whole foods and plenty of vegetables – avoid processed foods. Drink water and reduce sugar, especially by eliminating sugary beverages like soda and juice. Certain supplements may also be effective in helping to manage the symptoms of depression, including Methylfolate, Omega 3, and Vitamin D.
- Get enough sleep: experts recommend 7-9 hours per night on a consistent schedule
- Stop drinking alcohol: If you can avoid alcohol, you’re likely to feel better physically and emotionally
- Get social support: stay connected or reconnect with family and friends.